Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Why India’s Bus Rapid Transit Projects don’t excite me - Dr Adhiraj Joglekar

The Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) as it is currently planned in India is suggested as the one-size-fit-all solution to our transport woes.

Having travelled on Mumbai’s bus service (BEST) for thirty years & London’s public transport since 2001, I can’t share the optimism of those who believe BRT (as it is currently planned) is the way forward.

When senior citizens, children & disabled struggle to cross the roads safely, one would hope for a solution that improves all aspects of mobility.

I wonder why a city like Pune would spend crores of rupees on BRT when 40% of its roads don’t have pavements (see state of Pune pavements here). That almost a third of Pune citizens commute by walking makes the question more poignant.

I have for some time now tried to find an answer to the question. My quest has led me to assess available information on the BRT projects implemented in India’s two cities. My understanding has grown but as have the questions. Our BRT planners unfortunately have overlooked many issues. To read more, please, visit Better Pune

Related Story:

Pimpri Chinchwad Municipal Corporation finally starts work on the 14.5-km-long Aundh-Ravet Bus Rapid Transit System (BRTS) route

Subscribe for Free!

1) Thanks for visiting! Please, subscribe for free to receive emails of Ravi Karandeekar's Pune Cycle2Work Blog or to read in your Google or any other reader.

2) Cycle2Work is my passion and blogging on Pune real estate is my profession. Please, visit my Google group, Ravi Karandeekar's Pune Real Estate Blog Group, to know more about my blogs.

3) Please, feel free to call me on my mobile +91 98600 44110! I enjoy talking, sharing my views and giving advice about buying property in Pune real estate market (so i do not charge anything for the first 8 minutes!)

4) Please, join me on Friendfeed, to share news articles, photos, interesting links and videos. Let us discover and discuss our online life stream!

Sphere: Related Content

1 comment:

  1. This project is not for exciting Mr. Joglekar :)

    It's more exciting for our leaders, lot of money right...!!!

    ReplyDelete